"Writing Knowledge Transfer"- Six weeks in

Reflection on the readings from the first six weeks of the term.

I remember hearing "writing transfer" in 220A (Teaching College Composition) and thinking to myself how irrelevant that term is for me since I'm in the TESOL program and that class was just to get the Composition certificate. I also remember getting frustrated with myself because I had such a hard time creating assignments that would transfer ideas from my imaginary composition course to my imaginary students' other classes. 

After taking a closer look to the importance and effectiveness of teaching for transfer, I now understand that my future ESL (English as a Second Language) students will benefit so much if I structure my classes as I read about these past six weeks. Not only are they writing in a different language, but every culture has a different understanding of what an academic paper should look like so that is a challenge all on its own for ESL students. However, if I structure my classes to provide ample opportunities for them to explicitly connect how what they are learning in my course will aid their writing in their GE classes, I will set them up for a better path of success.

In 220A, I had a tough time understanding all the components that go into a creating a good assignment. The assignments I was given as a child (in Russian school) lacked so many tools that would have made transitioning into the "American school system" smoother. Even the directions were vague. I had little awareness of who I was writing to, what for and more importantly, why I was writing. I understand from personal experience that the clearer an assignment, the better the student's writing will be. However, I lacked such examples growing up.

Reading the various studies, chapter from Critical TransitionsNaming What We Know, and Writing Across Contexts, it's evident that the field of Composition has come such a long way, yet, there is still so much yet to discover. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing to think

The Obstacles Facing Transfer of Writing Knowledge

How could the five key concepts from "Naming What We Know" be observed in a learning-to-write setting?