ePortfolios and Writing Transfer


What features of the electronic portfolio pedagogy facilitate knowledge transfer?

In Electronic Portfolios 2.0, the authors also point out the benefits of reflection and underline the link between “students’ reflective practices with their school performances” (p 6). When students are asked to think about their own writing and reflect on it, they are practicing much bigger concepts.

When working on a particular assignment, it is important that students understand the purpose of the assignment in relation to the other assignments. When they are able to underline the links and draw connections, knowledge transfer occurs. Reflections provide an opportunity to reflect and make these connections. If implemented correctly, the portfolio is a documentation of the students’ metacognitive progress, not just an example of their writing process.

In Ch. 8 in Critical Transitions, the authors explain the role of metacognition and how it aids in transferring writing knowledge across disciplines. They also provide examples of how teachers should view and treat metacognitive activities. 

I wonder how I would be able to implement metacognitive activities in my future ESL classes. Since many scholars point out the links between writing transfer and metacognitive tasks in FYC classes, I could only imagine how much more this may benefit an ESL student. For example, I have noticed from my previous students that they are so focused on the single assignment I assigned that they fail to see how the lesson we just learned (about simple past tense, for example) is useful in many other ways (in speaking, writing, reading...). But there is a disconnect. I wonder if reflective assignments will raise their awareness in that aspect...? By summarizing what they learned during a previous lecture/reading/assignment, will they also be able to bring up more instances where this concept is used/useful?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing to think

The Obstacles Facing Transfer of Writing Knowledge

How could the five key concepts from "Naming What We Know" be observed in a learning-to-write setting?